Gluten-free Slowcooker Five-Spice Braised Pork Belly
Make your house smell fragrant with this gluten-free Taiwanese-inspired five-spice braised pork belly to top your rice and noodles!
Servings: 8 people
- 2 lb skin-on pork belly cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar, or omit for low-sugar version
- 1/3 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 white or yellow onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots cut into 1.5 inch pieces
Optional: Brown the meat.
Heat a pan over medium to high heat. Pour 2 tbsp cooking oil into heated pan then place pork belly pieces evenly over pan.
Once the searing side looks no longer pink (or until browned if you have time), turn the piece and repeat on all pieces and all sides
Sauce and seasoning
In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar (if using), gluten-free soy sauce, five-spice powder, molasses and 1 cup of water
Place onions pieces, then the prepared pork belly pieces to the bottom of the slowcooker.
Place cut carrot pieces over pork
Pour the mixed seasoning sauce on top. Then add water until 0.5 to 1 inch below the top of the ingredients
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours
Serve over preferred side dishes and enjoy!