Vermicelli with Lemongrass wings
There is always something nostalgic and heartwarming about vermicelli bowls and exam time for me. Back in my final year of high school, I stayed at my grandma’s place during the study break. I remember she loved preparing vermicelli bowls for me during the stay, and for that I meant a warm BIG bowl of vermicelli at 8AM for breakfast!!
I felt overwhelmed, spoiled, FULL… but most of all loved. Today as I prepare for music theory exam (fingers-crossed it will still happen this August!), making this vermicelli with lemongrass wings reminds me no matter what challenge I am up against, family is always by my side.
Which type of vermicelli you used for this recipe?
If you are wondering which type of vermicelli is used in the recipe, I would say you are not the only one wondering because there are just too many types out there!
To keep it gluten-free and quick cooking. I recommend the thin rice noodle type like these ones below. (Affiliate links) They are so thin that it almost cooks instantly the moment it touches boiling water so be sure not to overcook them!
Looking for more noodles recipes?
Check out the following for warming and cozy gluten-free noodles!
Vermicelli with Lemongrass Wings
- 150 g Dried Vermicelli or 2 servings
- 1.5 L Filtered Water
- 2 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 large Watermelon Radish thinly sliced
- 2 handful Spinach
- 1 lb Chicken Wings fresh or defrosted
- 1 Tbsp chopped Lemongrass fresh or frozen (1/2 tbsp if using dried lemongrass powder)
- 2 Tbsp Gluten-free Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 2 Tbsp Cornstarch or Arrowroot Starch
- 1 L Broth of choice warmed
- Toss wings in lemongrass, soy sauce and starch to coat evenly
- Lay wings on a baking tray then steam bake at 425F for 20 mins (or bake in preheated oven until done)
- Fill a pot with filtered water and bring it to a boil
- Add 2 tbsp of sea salt and vermicelli to pot of boiling water. Once all rice sticks have submerged under the salt water, turn off the heat
- Rinse spinach if needed, then add spinach and thinly sliced watermelon radish to vermicelli before all the liquid are absorbed
- To assemble:
- Add warmed broth to vermicelli and veggies, season to taste
- Place cooked wings over vermicelli or serve on the side
- Add a squeeze of lime juice for refreshing taste