Simple Chicken Stir-fry Onigiri
Satisfy your Japanese food sushi and teriyaki craving with this Japanese stirfry onigiri ready in 30 mins! Wholesome ingredients for a healthy and satisfying lunch at-home or carry-out!
It has been weeks into this social distancing life and what do you miss the most during this time? Eating out? Seeing friends? Enjoying radio show on the morning commute? …
For my family, what we miss the most during this lock-down time is Japanese food, especially all-you-can-eat sushi!! Imagine a table full of sushi and teriyaki dishes… yum! Therefore I created this chicken stir-fry onigiri recipe. This simple recipe brings together the savory teriyaki chicken and tangy sushi rice. It will surely satisfy your sushi rice and chicken teriyaki cravings, all in the palm of your hand! (literally!)
I call it chicken stirfry onigiri instead of teriyaki here because I left out sugar or any sweetener in the chicken marinate here. Therefore the flavor and texture so it is closer to a stir-fry than the authentic Japanese teriyaki. However this also means you can add your own preferred sweetener to taste then it will become teriyaki!! Woohoo!
Where can I find the ingredients I need?
You will be able to easily find most of the ingredients you need in major grocery stores to make this easy Japanese food with the exception of nori sheet (seaweed) and black fungus strips. If you have trouble finding them at your local grocery store, simply omit black fungus strips, and sub nori sheet with seaweed snacks!
As nori sheet is dry grocery, you can also find them in wholesale quantities online like this one (Affliate Link)!
Do I need any special tools to make the chicken stirfry onigiri?
I shaped my onigiri entirely by hand but if you are not confident about it, here is a example of onigiri maker (Affliate Link) that will help make the task easier and more efficient!
For cooking the rice, my go-to is a simple one-button rice cooker (Affliate Link), an InstantPot (Affiliate link) will do the job well too!
Looking for more ricecooker meal ideas?
Check out the Belated recipe collection here!
- SUSHI ROLLS ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT MADE UNDER $5!
- DELICIOUS BRAISED WINGS AND POTATOES WITH VEGGIE RICE
- VEGAN MILLET CONGEE WITH KELP AND SQUASH
- BUDGET CHICKPEA YELLOW RICE AND MILLET
Chicken Stir-fry Onigiri
- 2 cups White Rice preferably sushi rice, if you are using long grain rice, add a bit more water when cooking the rice
- 1 Chicken Thigh
- 1/2 Medium Carrot
- 1 handful dried black fungus strips soaked for 15 mins
- 2 +1 Tbsp Gluten-free Soy Sauce or Tamari
- 1 tsp Rice vinegar sub white or apple cider vinegar if needed
- 1/2 tsp sweetener of choice
- 1 tbsp Light tasting Cooking Oil
- Place rice in rice cooker insert and fill filtered water to the 2 cup marking
- Add 1 Tbsp soy sauce, rice vinegar and sweetener to rice and start cooking
- Cut chicken thigh into 1 cm cubes, mix with 2 tbsp soy sauce and set aside
- Cut carrots into thin strips and drain soaked black fungus strips
- Preheat a frying pan on medium heat and add cooking oil
- Add chicken into pan and cover with lid until chicken releases liquid
- Add veggie strips into pan and stir until softened and chicken is fully cooked
1 thought on “Simple Chicken Stir-fry Onigiri”