Cornhusk-wrapped Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Looking for a unique sheet pan dinner recipe? Love how chicken skin crisps up in the oven but hate the clean up of the splattered fat? If so, this corn husk-wrapped chicken recipe is for YOU!!
What is special about corn husk-wrapped chicken?
I came across the idea of wrapping corn husk around pieces of meat in the past barbecue season. I wrapped a piece of corn husk around chicken breast pieces on the kabob for grilling and it turned out so good! The meat was juicy, tender with a hint of smoky flavor. Not to mention the meat never sticks on the grill!
Inspired by the chicken breast kabob experiment, here is the oven-baked chicken thigh version. Using bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, the corn husk wrapped method yields crispy skin, reduce oil splatter in oven, and adds a unique smoky flavor to the meat!
What is sheet-pan cooking?
Sheet-pan cooking lets you cook the entire meal from protein, to veggies and other side dishes in a single sheet pan.
Sheet pan dinners are great weeknight meal ideas. You only have 1 pan to wash (yay!). All the juices and flavors are contained and fused together so nicely in the oven! The ideas can go wild! From broiled salmon, to chicken thigh, flank steak… you name it!
It might be deceiving at times that a stunning sheet pan roast seemed to be everything going into the oven together and done at the same time. This might be true for some ingredients but I found that it is always one thing takes longer than the other. Therefore test and adjust cook time for each ingredient. Don’t forget the size of food matters too!
Where to get the corn husk for wrapped chicken?
I used corn husk saved from fresh corn on the cob that I bought in season. You can also find them as dried corn husk available online. (Affiliate link) The dried varieties might not be long enough to wrap around a large chicken thigh. So you can use additional fastenings like butcher twine for wrapping instead of using corn husk alone.
Looking for more one-pan baked recipes?
Check out the belated recipe collections here!
- ROSEMARY DOUBLE-SPLIT WINGS WITH ROOT VEGETABLES
- CHICKEN ENCHILADA WITH BEET SAUCE
- SAUSAGE SHEET-PAN DINNER + MEAL-PREP
- SIMPLE BROILED SALMON WITH JERUSALEM ARTICHOKES
Corn husk-wrapped Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
Corn husk-wrapped Chicken
- 2 Chicken thigh and back bone-in skin-on, large
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Onion and/or garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Cooking oil
- 1-2 Beets cut into wedges
- 1-2 Carrots cut into chunks
- 2 Potatoes cut into wedges
- 1 Zucchini cut into chunks
- 1/4 Fennel cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Italian herb mix optional
- Preheat oven at 400F
- Coat Chicken thigh evenly with paprika, garlic and/or onion powder, salt and cooking oil
- Wrap seasoned chicken thigh in corn husk and arrange in sheet pan
- In a large bowl, toss vegetable pieces in olive oil, optional herb mix, salt and pepper until evenly coated
- Arrange seasoned vegetables in sheet pan. Bake at 400F for 30 mins, rotating half way through for even cooking
- Serve and enjoy!