Hainanese Chicken Rice – ricecooker one-pot meal!
I posted a poll a while ago to see if you guys would like to see one-pot or steam-oven recipe for this yummy Hainanese chicken rice. Many of you picked one-pot method so here it is… easy, tender, simple cleanup for a prefect weeknight meal without turning up the stove!
Secret to juicy and flavorful Hainanese chicken!
The secrets to juicy yellow chicken in this recipe are 1)marinate and 2) use skin-on chicken thigh meat! For my recipe, I am using only a couple ingredients, salt and lemongrass. You can also add fish sauce and gluten-free soysauce for more complex flavor profile. Simply coat chicken evenly with marinade and let sit for at least 4 hour or overnight before cooking.
There are amazing recipes out there making this famous dish with whole chicken (check out @vernahungrybanana !). However for the protein to work well in rice cooker with promising results and easy serving, I found chicken thigh works best here. It cooks evenly as it is all red meat and it retains juices better with higher fat content!
What appliance or gadget do I need for this recipe?
Disclaimer: affiliate links are contained in content below
This recipe is good for even a simple one-button rice cooker model (I wish I discovered this method during my college time!).
However if you are lucky to own an instant pot, feel free to adapt the recipe. I am sure it will still turn out juicy tender and delicious!
Looking for more easy ricecooker meal recipes?
Check out the belated recipe collection here!
- ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT SUSHI ROLLS MADE UNDER $5!
- DELICIOUS BRAISED WINGS AND POTATOES WITH VEGGIE RICE
- HEALTHY VEGAN LOADED MILLET CONGEE
- SIMPLE CHICKEN STIR-FRY ONIGIRI
- BUDGET CHICKPEA YELLOW RICE AND MILLET
ONE-POT Hainanese Chicken Rice
- 2 cups White rice or mixed with soaked whole grain rice
- 2 Chicken thigh boneless skin-on
- 2 tbsp Lemongrass minced, or dried lemongrass powder
- 3 tbsp Coarse sea salt
- 1/2 Cucumber sliced
- Scallions finely diced for garnish
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- At least 4 hours before cooking, marinade chicken thigh with coarse sea salt and lemongrass
- Fill ricecooker with rice and liquid to the 2-cup marking, start the ricecooker to start cooking
- As liquid begins to boil in rice cooker, place marinated chicken over rice. Cover to continue cooking
- When ricecooker finished cooking, let sit for 5 mins
- Open lid, cut chicken into 1 cm-wide strips, place them back on top of rice along with any oil that is released on the cutting board
- Garnish with scallions and red pepper flakes and serve with cucumber slices