Five-spice Chicken Liver with Leeks
Finally a chicken liver recipe that is dairy-free, no-prep, no-deep frying and Asian-flavored! Try this five-spice chicken liver with leeks recipe tonight and be impressed!
Guess what is a nutritional powerhouse with abundant vitamin A and B12?? Yes you got it, it’s chicken liver!! In fact, organ meat offers high concentration of vitamins and minerals that are incomparable by plant-based sources.
“How can I make it taste good with minimum effort?”
Don’t worry I got you covered! This yummy recipe involves no deep-frying (no air-fryer either!), no extended soaking in milk (so dairy-free and minimum prep time!!), no cutting raw meat on cutting board (so no mess!!), plus Asian flavor-packed!!
What inspires you to make this five-spice chicken liver with leeks recipe?
This five-spice chicken liver with leeks recipe is inspired by the classic cumin lamb dish from Xinjiang (north-west China). It pairs strong spices and bold vegetable with flavorful gamy-tasting lamb, definitely match made in heaven!
There are a few well-known tricks to mellow-down the taste of livers. Some recommend soaking them in milk for hours, some others recommend soaking them in lemon juice or vinegar. From my experience, soaking in milk is not an option because we are dairy-free. However, vinegar did worked but I was too lazy to prepare in advance.
That is why I am inspired to make this recipe with no prep. Simply dump in the pan, season, cut using spatula/ flipper then cover until cooked!
What to serve with chicken liver and leek?
This dish renders a flavorful deep gravy that goes well in anything! For the authentic taste, I recommend serving it on warm steamed rice.
Looking for more gluten-free stove-top recipes?
Check out the Belated recipe collection!
- DELICIOUS BRAISED WINGS AND POTATOES WITH VEGGIE RICE
- VERMICELLI WITH LEMONGRASS WINGS
- PORTUGUESE SAUCE CHICKPEA ON RICE
- ONE-PAN SINGAPOREAN VERMICELLI
Five-spice chicken liver with leeks
- a pan with lid to cover
- 1/2 lb chicken liver
- 1 cup Leeks cut diagonally into 1cm pieces
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp gluten-free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar I used white vinegar, feel free to sub with apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, etc
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Heat a pan with cooking oil and saute five-spice powder, cumin seeds and chili pepper flakes with medium heat
- Add chicken liver to pan and let pan fry until slightly browned on both sides
- Add vinegar and gluten-free soy sauce to pan, add 1/2 cup water as well if the pan is getting dry
- Using a wooden or stainless steel spatula, cut in the chicken liver into bite-size pieces while cooking. This step releases more flavor into the gravy. You can also inspect the level of doneness while cutting
- Cover and let cook until liver is fully cooked with crumbly texture and no more pink
- Add leek to pan, stir fry and combine with livers and the gravy
- Serve with warm steamed rice or cauliflower rice