Chicken Kimbap, gluten-free and no-beef!
Wanting some light rice meals but not a fan for raw fish in sushi? Got some leftover chicken breast and looking for some new recipe to use it? Try this Korean-inspired naturally gluten-free chicken kimbap! Trust me, you will experience rice in seaweed in a whole new way!
Is kimbap the same as sushi?
Often mistaken as sushi rolls, these close cousins are literally called seaweed rice in Korean. Traditionally, one would make kimbap with cooked meat and vegetables. No wasabi is necessary for serving!Some may call them Gimbap at times too!
Instead of raw fish pieces (sashimi) and raw vegetables, kimbap are often made with cooked beef and cooked vegetables. This made kimbap less of a delicate dish but a family friendly dish that is perfect for picnic!
If you are looking for an affordable sushi recipe, check out my SUSHI ROLLS ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT MADE UNDER $5!
What do I need to make chicken kimbap?
(Affliate Links below)
As nori sheet (seaweed) is dry grocery, you can find them in wholesale quantities online like this one !
For rice, I recommend using medium to short grain rice here for it makes the kimbap hold its shape better.
As for the tools, you will need something to cook your rice in and roll the kimbap with. My recommendation (affiliate link) is a good old-fashioned one-button ricecooker. You can also cook your rice using stove-top method or in an instant pot.
Looking for more gluten-free Asian-inspired recipes?
Check out the Belated recipe collection!
- HAINANESE CHICKEN RICE – RICECOOKER ONE-POT MEAL!
- TOMATO CURRY RICE AND BEANS/LENTILS
- ONE-PAN SINGAPOREAN VERMICELLI
- SUSHI ROLLS ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT MADE UNDER $5!
- DELICIOUS BRAISED WINGS AND POTATOES WITH VEGGIE RICE
- 2 cups Chicken Breast seasoned, cooked and shredded into thick strips
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1 cup Carrots cut into strips
- 1 1/2 cups Short grain rice see note
- 2 Seaweed sheets
- Salt to taste
Preparing the kimbap rice
- Cook rice using preferred method with filtered water and salt
Preparing the vegetables
- Prepare a pot of boiling water
- Quickly blanch spinach, drain and set aside
- Using the same pot of water, quickly blanch carrot strips then set aside
Assembling the kimbap
- Place rice over a nori sheet on a sushi mat or a silicon baking mat, press to cover except 1 cm on 3 sides and 1 inch on top
- Place vegetable and chicken strips in a row across the middle of rice
- Roll up the mat and press the fillings inside. Gently apply pressure to form a roll
- Damp water onto the last strip of nori sheet and roll over to seal. Cut with damp sharp knife into individual pieces
Made this recipe? Tag us #belatedbrewery and @belatedbrewery, we love to see your pictures!