The Perfectly Moist Roast Beef + 10 Creative ways to use the leftovers!
Tired of think about what to cook every single meal? Try this minimal hands-on slowcooker roast beef and you will get a satisfying Sunday dinner plus protein for a week of quick lunches!
See 10 roast beef leftover makeover lunch recipe ideas HERE!
I have been experimenting crockpot roast beef in the past year, from various cuts of meat, range of moisture and liquid levels to different ways to arrange veggies in the pot. Obviously also from no searing to searing before slow cooking. This fatty blade roast cut is perfectly done with searing in advance and minimal liquid added in slow cooker. You will never want to miss it!!
What vegetables are good for making slowcooker roast beef?
Beets: While the color bleed might be intimidating for other dishes, deep red beets goes perfect with dark meat roasts! The slowcooking ensures beets are fully cooked to make it gentler on the gut, and the earthy sweetness is just heavenly match with the dry rub spices!
Carrots: Pick the large carrots over baby carrots for slow cooking, they retain their shape much better and has a deeper flavor!
Onions: Adds sweetness to the bed of roasted veggies, do not submerge them in liquid so they can get caramelized beautifully!
What tools do I need to make this recipe?
For marinating the roast overnight, I recommend a large rectangular glass container like the one here. (Affiliate link)
For slowcooking, while there are many fancy multi cookers and gadgets on the market, I used a simple 4-quart Crockpot for this recipe.(Affiliate link)
Looking for more dairy-free gluten-free slowcooker recipes?
Checkout my other delicious allergy-friendly slowcooker recipes here!
- 1-POT MINIMALIST LIME AND MINT CHICKEN BREASTS
- HEALTHY TOMATO-FREE MINESTRONE SOUP WITH GROUND BEEF
- EASY SLOW COOKER ROSEMARY CHICKEN QUARTERS
- APPLE AND SNOW FUNGUS TEA
Perfectly Moist Sunday Roast Beef
- Cast iron pan
- 2 1/4 lbs Boneless inside blade roast
- 7 Beets mini-sized, or 2 medium beets, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Carrots medium sized, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Onions cut in wedges
- 2 tbsp Whole cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Sea salt
- 1 tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Chili pepper flakes or powder
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 cup Filtered water
- Rub roast with cumin seeds, chili pepper, salt and pepper thoroughly. Place in container and let marinate in fridge overnight
- Around noon the next day, pull out marinated roast from the fridge. Heat a pan (ideally cast iron, used an enameled stainless steel one and it is just fine) with enough cooking oil to cover the bottom
- Sear each side of roast until meat looks brown and spices are slightly burnt
- Arrange cut carrots, beets, onions in bottom of slowcooker. Place roast over veggies
- De-glaze searing pan with 1/2 cup filtered water and pour over roast. Cover cook on low for 5 hours